You’ve likley been told countless times that when it comes to carbs, whole grains are healthiest. But let’s face it: Whether it’s quinoa, rice, or millet, they’re not very exciting on their own. Have no fear, because this recipe will make you fall in love with brown rice all over again. The combination of fresh flavours from wholesome foods like tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, and balsamic vinegar tastes great hot or cold.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 16 small scallops
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon shredded basil, additional leaves for garnish
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine stock and rice in a pot and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile place scallops and vinegar in a bowl and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- When rice is nearly finished, pour olive oil into a frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add scallops with about 2 tablespoons marinating liquid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until completely opaque and light golden on outside. (Most liquid should evaporate.) Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, pine nuts, and 1 tablespoon vinegar to pan. Cook until warm, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Drain any remaining liquid from rice and stir in parsley and basil.
- Add rice to tomato mixture. Sauté over high heat for 3 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from stove and divide evenly between plates. Top with scallops and garnish with additional basil leaves, if desired.