Chocolate hummus may sound a little strange, but who's ever met a hummus that they didn't like? Although this dessert version of the appetizer favorite is sweet, it's actually lighter than regular hummus because it doesn't require olive oil or tahini, you still get the protein and fiber from the chickpeas. Who needs fondue when you have this?
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Sea salt (optional)
- Powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients except water and powdered sugar in a food processor, adding cinnamon and/or sea salt to taste, if desired. Blend until smooth, adding up to 1/4 cup water to reach desired consistency. (Add water a little at a time so you don't overdo it.)
- Enjoy slathered on bread or as a dip, sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.