This healthy take on chips and dip will satisfy your salty snack cravings without causing an overdose an empty calories. Dry the eggplant well so it crisps up when baking.
- 1 medium globe eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a few paper towels and arrange eggplant in a single layer. Generously coat with salt and cover with a second paper towel. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Frmly press down on eggplant to extract water. Wipe water and salt from eggplant and lay back on baking tray (without paper towel). Set aside.
- In a food processor (or mortar and pestle), combine olive oil and 2 cloves garlic until a smooth paste forms. Brush eggplant slices with garlic oil, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes, flip, and bake for 12 more minutes. Chips should be crispy and dark brown; if still soft, bake for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- While eggplant chips are baking, blend cucumber, basil, and remaining garlic cloves in either a food processor or mortar and pestle. Scrape into a colander to drain out excess water. Mix with yogurt and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt. Serve warm chips with dip.