This fruit salad is decidedly more grown-up than the classic picnic version—the one where you were always trying to avoid one thing or another (cantaloupe, anyone?). With a sophisticated drizzle of lavender-scented syrup, this summery salad is a great way to make use of all the luscious stone fruits of July. No idea where to pick up some lavender buds? Check your local natural foods store or some higher-end grocery stores. Recipe adapted from .
- 1/4 cup sugar (or other sweetener)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lavender buds (or 1/2 tablespoon dried lavender buds)
- 5-7 pounds stone fruit (such as nectarines, peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries), chopped
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar, water, and lemon juice and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add lavender buds and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside. Let steep for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix fruit in a large bowl and drizzle with lemon-lavender syrup. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 or 2 days.