Kelp is a type of large, brown seaweed that grows underwater in shallow oceans. It's high in iodine, which helps with healthy thyroid function. also suggest kelp can help protect against estrogen-related cancers such as ovarian, breast, and endometrial [wysiwyg:citation:%3Ca+href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F3669501%22%3EAntitumor+activity+of+a+crude+fucoidan+fraction+prepared+from+the+rootes+of+kelp%3C%2Fa%3E.+Chiada%2C+K.%2C+Yamamoto%2C+I.+The+Kitasato+Archives+of+Experimental+Medicine%2C+1987+Jun%3B60%281-2%29%3A22-9.]. This raw noodle recipe pairs kelp with an almond, garlic, and ginger sauce that brings some serious punch.
- 2 cups kelp noodles, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 3 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2-inch chunk fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine carrot, pepper, and kelp noodles in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour sauce over noodle and vegetable mixture, and toss until sauce is evenly distributed.