This smooth, Instagram-worthy soup makes a great weekday lunch for one, but it's also special enough for date night at home. It's an addictive mix of savory and sweet. To make it a heartier meal, pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- For soup:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 leeks, white and very light green parts only, sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 small fennel bulbs, chopped, tops reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 apple, peeled and cubed
- 2-2 1/2 quarts vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- For apple relish:
- 1 apple, finely cubed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Reserved fennel tops, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine oil, leeks, coriander, and fennel with 1 pinch salt in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 10 minutes or until fennel and leeks begin to break down, stirring occasionally.
- Add potato, apple, and stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, purée soup until smooth and free of lumps. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with relish and fennel tops.