It doesn't take much to turn a simple, mild-flavored vegetable into a crave-worthy masterpiece—and this recipe is testament to just that. Maple syrup is a great natural sweetener, and carrots contain tons of health benefits. helps keep the immune system fit, helps rebuild bone, regulates cell growth and division, and may reduce the risk for some cancers.
- 4 large carrots (approximately 1 pound), sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover carrots in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, maple syrup, and orange juice. Stir. Add cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until maple syrup begins to caramelizeand a glaze remains as carrots brown slightly.