This egg sandwich skips the fatty bacon and salt-packed sausage in favor of yummy veggies. Whole-wheat bread adds slow-burning carbs, while the egg provides filling protein.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add tomato and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside. Saute mushrooms in the pan for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Push mushrooms to side of pan, and crack in each egg without breaking yolk. Cook eggs as desired. While eggs are cooking, toast bread.
- Assemble sandwich: Layer 2 slices tomato, half mushrooms, and 1 egg on each slice bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan.