Grouper, mahi-mahi, red snapper, cod, and halibut are great options in this recipe. Be sure to take these steps to ensure your fish doesn’t stick to the pan: The fish should be completely dry before hitting the pan, and the oil should be very hot, giving off a rippling effect but not quite smoking.
- 1 pound fresh grouper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 peach, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, quartered
- Pat fish dry with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is rippling, add fish flesh side down. Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side. (You will notice fish whiten around the bottom and outside as it cooks.) Remove fish from the heat, and divide into eight equal portions.
- Assemble tacos: Top each tortilla with fish, avocado, peach, onion, cabbage, cilantro, and a generous squeeze of lime juice.