Not only green and satisfying, this meal also takes minimal effort to prepare. It's full of healthy, clean ingredients like quinoa and avocado. Although it calls for mushrooms and pine nuts, you could add any additional veggies or nuts you like.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (add more or less according to your taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, cut into small chunks
- Lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- Rinse quinoa well in a fine-mesh sieve for about two minutes.
- Place rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let pan sit covered for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss chopped broccoli and garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until beginning to brown. Set 1/2 cup broccoli aside.
- Add remaining broccoli, garlic, avocado, Parmesan, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil to a high-power blender or food processor, and blend until a smooth puree forms. Taste and season with salt. Stir in lemon juice one teaspoon at a time, if using.
- Mix 1/2 cup broccoli pesto and reserved broccoli into the cooked quinoa. Set any remaining pesto aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add nuts to dry pan and toast, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from pan and add to quinoa.
- Add butter to the same frying pan and let it melt. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add to salad and serve warm.
- Serve with remaining pesto on the side. Store leftover pesto in an airtight container in the refigerator for a few days, or in the freezer for several weeks.
Recipe courtesy of .