This richly flavored version of the Italian classic is healthified by substituting quinoa for spaghetti and throwing in a healthy dose of superfood spinach. It is also simplified to be easy enough for a quick weeknight dinner using common pantry ingredients, without losing any depth of flavor. A simple protein like sautéed shrimp or grilled chicken is a great addition to this meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 kalamata olives, chopped, more for garnish
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until garlic is golden brown and anchovies have dissolved into oil.
- Add olives and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add baby spinach and cook for another 5 minutes, until wilted.
- Turn off heat and stir in quinoa. Serve warm, with additional olives for garnish.