Zucchini's very mild flavor makes it perfect to get creative with spices and accompaniments. This recipe uses the squash as a boat for a simple sautéed mix of onion, eggplant, and bell peppers. It's a delicious, plant-based way to achieve a meaty texture in a satisfyingly light dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 zucchini, halved, flesh scooped out
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a frying pan heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, eggplant, and pepper until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Drizzle bottom of a baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and place zucchinis in the dish, skin side down.
- Fill zucchini boats equally with veggie mixture. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake until zucchini is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.