Yes, it's a superfood, but even considering the amazing nutritional prowess of these little seeds, some quinoa preparations can be less-than-healthy, whether fried into cakes(emphasis on the "fried") or over-dressed in a salad bar. Try this take on a healthy quinoa salad for the perfect light side dish. Packed with fresh veggies and herbs ( a little feta), this dish takes quinoa to the next level.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 10-12 kalamata olives, diced
- 4-5 sprigs oregano, chopped
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 leaves basil, rolled into a log and sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Boil water. Add quinoa and stir. When it returns to a boil, cover and let simmer on low heat until cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine tomatoes, olives, oregano, and parsley.
- When quinoa is cooked, add oil and tomato-olive mixture. Stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Top with basil and feta.