Why would anyone want to practice yoga—which already consists of a series of awkward and uncomfortable poses—in a room heated to around 104 degrees?
While there are certain precautions you should take, hot yoga might not be such a bad thing—turns out, there are some health benefits to doing downward dog in higher temps, including helping out your arteries’ stiffness. But if you’re thinking about switching up your workout routine and giving hot yoga a try, here’s what to expect.
1. Arriving to class 30 minutes early…
2. Your closest friends have already tried to talk you out of subjecting yourself to such a torturous activity.
3. But you’re not worried. In the words of Beyoncé, "a little sweat ain’t never hurt nobody."
4. When it hits you that hot yoga isn’t a joke and the room really is heated to 104 degrees.
5. But you’re too legit to quit…
6. Desperately trying to pay attention to the teacher’s instructions.
7. TBH, you’d rather be doing this.
8. How I think I look doing hot yoga:
9. How I actually look:
10. WHY didn’t I just sign up for the beginner level?
11. Convincing yourself you’ve already lost at least five pounds through sweating.
12. When you try to effortlessly transition into the next pose, but almost slip on your own sweat.
13. When you DGAF and shamelessly start chugging water like there’s no tomorrow.
14. Making eye with someone who’s struggling just as much as you are and instantly bonding.
15. That same person asks if you’d be his/her hot yoga buddy and you’re like:
16. Pretending to be somewhere on an island drinking a cold piña colada.
17. Midway through the class, you’re no longer insecure about being a newbie.
18. Actual footage of me leaving class after it’s dismissed:
19. Bragging to your entire squad about how you survived hot yoga like...
20. When you finally realize that hot yoga is sorta fun… and you’re totally awesome.
Princess Gabbara is a Michigan-based journalist and storyteller. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram .